Tag Archives: sewing

Color Me Costumed

Halloween was always fun growing up, but it was a rule in our family that after fifth grade you didn’t trick-or-treat anymore.  We were in middle school and I guess old enough to not go out and get all that free candy. My workplace allowed us to dress up for the holiday this year.  I had the idea to be crayons – Crayola crayons to be specific.  A friend’s daughter had previously dressed up as a crayon, so I used her costume as a template of sorts.   This project actually involved making three costumes, one for my assistant manager and two for my co-workers.  It was quite the afternoon!

My supplies included black felt (1/2 yard), three shades of bright colored felt (1 yard per costume) and rick rack in the same color. I made three templates based on the previous costume, making some adjustments to make the crayon label fit an adult-sized rather than child-sized costume.

After tracing and cutting out the letters, the black oval, and the coordinating background area, I glued the background to the oval, and the letters to the background.  I knew this would make the sewing a little easier.   After giving the glue some time to dry I sewed around each letter to secure it to both the colored felt and the black felt, label complete!

Next I decided that a two inch wide black strip around the top and bottom of each crayon would look good.  A wider strip would be fine too, but a much narrower on an adult would be too thin. After cutting those lengths I pinned the rick rack right down the center of the two inch strip and then sewed the rick rack to the black felt.

The colored felt, which is the majority of the costume is just a tube. I measured around the widest part of my coworker Heather’s body and then added a couple of inches to allow for movement, ease of getting the costume on and sitting during the day.  Before sewing the colored felt into a tube, I sewed one of the black felt strips a few inches from the top and the other a few inches from the bottom.  I also sewed the crayon label on the center of the large piece of felt.

Next, I lined up the edges of the large piece of felt and sewed it into a tube. Be sure that the crayon label side is inside while sewing the tube.

The final step for the body of the costume was to make straps from black felt.  I made Heather’s straps one inch wide and 24 inches long.  I had her try on the body of the costume to help me determine where to place the straps.

Now a crayon isn’t a crayon without a tip. We bought a pack of paper party hats to form the base of our hats.  I took the paper hat apart, laid it on a piece of colored felt, and traced it, adding an extra half inch on each side.  Then  I cut out the felt, stapled it around the hat, and restapled it into a cone shape.  Easy peasy!

Isn’t it cute?

-Emily

Advertisements

Quilting Adventures: Part 1

A couple of weeks ago I made a few quilt tops for a project at church. These are made with large sections of fabric.  Nothing fancy, but useful.  As I was working on this project with my mom we ended up with smaller pieces left over. That is where this project was born. I decided to make a quilt for Nelly, my pup.  She sheds a little but likes to sit on the couch, so this will be her couch quilt.

Here we go…

First I took all of the scraps of fabric and sorted them into two piles based on their length. I figured this would give me an idea of how to cut down the strips. I didn’t want to waste fabric, or make cuts that were unnecessary. I decided that based on the fabric I had I would do four columns, two of each length.

After making this decision I got my mom to work on cutting! It was a tag team effort on this part of the project. Mom cuts, I organize, pin and sew.  Not a bad deal if you ask me.   Something about cutting fabric frustrates me, so if I can avoid it, I do!

The quilt didn’t need to be super fancy or color coordinated but I didn’t want it to seriously clash either.   I realize it is for my dog, but at the same time it will be in view on the couch.  I laid out all of my fabric so I could get an idea of how the rows would match up together and then it was on to the real work.

Basic sewing is not as difficult as some people think, and I was not looking to earn any awards with this quilt.  I took my first two pieces of fabric, put them together with the “good side” facing in, lined up the long edge and pinned the two pieces together in three spots.

Then I was off to the races.   I zipped each piece through the machine, using the edge of the foot on the sewing machine as a guide for the seam. Using the foot as a guide made for a nice ½ inch seam and it was also an easy way of keeping the seam straight.

After I sewed all of the pieces together I had four strips that were all pretty close to the same length. However as I held one up I saw it was really curved to the left. So much for nice straight and even seams! I was afraid I would have to rip out the seams on about half of that strip, but after a calming discussion with my momma I was given a much quicker solution. I simply had to adjust the seams on a few pieces and that would straighten up the whole column. This meant measuring the two ends of each individual strip that seemed out of place and re-sewing that seam. Phew! I had to make this adjustment in three places, but SO much better than ripping out seams and then repinning and re-sewing half of the strip.

This is where I am right now.  I have four columns ready to be sewn together into a full quilt top.  I will use solid fabric to separate each column to bring it all together.

The adventure continues as I work on other projects.

-Emily