Quilting Adventures: Part 1

A couple of weeks ago I made a few quilt tops for a project at church. These are made with large sections of fabric.  Nothing fancy, but useful.  As I was working on this project with my mom we ended up with smaller pieces left over. That is where this project was born. I decided to make a quilt for Nelly, my pup.  She sheds a little but likes to sit on the couch, so this will be her couch quilt.

Here we go…

First I took all of the scraps of fabric and sorted them into two piles based on their length. I figured this would give me an idea of how to cut down the strips. I didn’t want to waste fabric, or make cuts that were unnecessary. I decided that based on the fabric I had I would do four columns, two of each length.

After making this decision I got my mom to work on cutting! It was a tag team effort on this part of the project. Mom cuts, I organize, pin and sew.  Not a bad deal if you ask me.   Something about cutting fabric frustrates me, so if I can avoid it, I do!

The quilt didn’t need to be super fancy or color coordinated but I didn’t want it to seriously clash either.   I realize it is for my dog, but at the same time it will be in view on the couch.  I laid out all of my fabric so I could get an idea of how the rows would match up together and then it was on to the real work.

Basic sewing is not as difficult as some people think, and I was not looking to earn any awards with this quilt.  I took my first two pieces of fabric, put them together with the “good side” facing in, lined up the long edge and pinned the two pieces together in three spots.

Then I was off to the races.   I zipped each piece through the machine, using the edge of the foot on the sewing machine as a guide for the seam. Using the foot as a guide made for a nice ½ inch seam and it was also an easy way of keeping the seam straight.

After I sewed all of the pieces together I had four strips that were all pretty close to the same length. However as I held one up I saw it was really curved to the left. So much for nice straight and even seams! I was afraid I would have to rip out the seams on about half of that strip, but after a calming discussion with my momma I was given a much quicker solution. I simply had to adjust the seams on a few pieces and that would straighten up the whole column. This meant measuring the two ends of each individual strip that seemed out of place and re-sewing that seam. Phew! I had to make this adjustment in three places, but SO much better than ripping out seams and then repinning and re-sewing half of the strip.

This is where I am right now.  I have four columns ready to be sewn together into a full quilt top.  I will use solid fabric to separate each column to bring it all together.

The adventure continues as I work on other projects.

-Emily

Advertisements

One response to “Quilting Adventures: Part 1

  1. Pingback: Quilting Adventures Part 2 | 3E Design

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s