My husband and I purchased bar stools to use in our kitchen back in 2009. They weren’t the stools of our dreams, but at $20 apiece (originally $60), the price was right, and after moving into our condo we needed the seating. The stools swivel, are reasonably comfortable and are still in excellent shape three years later. We like the dark bronze finish of the back and the legs, but the beige microfiber seats did nothing for us. (Of course I forgot to take a full before shot, but here is a photo of a seat after it was removed.)
I had been casually looking around for fabric to use to recover the stools for several months when I came across a yellow and white chevron fabric at Hobby Lobby. I loved it, and with a 40% off coupon I bought two yards for about $12.00. I already had a staple gun and staples, so I was ready to start.
After unscrewing the seat from the base I removed the black fabric covering the underside of the chair, being careful not to tear it too much because I planned to reuse it.
I laid the seat upside down and eyeball measured a new square of fabric. I neglected to photograph the most important step – pulling the fabric tight and stapling. The sides are easy, but the corners are more challenging.
After I finished attaching the new fabric, I restapled the black fabric to the bottom and reattached the seat to the base. Finally, since I didn’t use a waterproof fabric, I took the chairs out to our porch and applied a few coats of Scotchgard to protect the seats from spills.
We love the pop of color and pattern that these add to the room. -Eliina